How Do I Reset the Check Engine Light on my RAM 1500?
To reset a RAM 1500 check engine light, it only takes three simple steps:
- Disconnect the negative cable from your battery
- Wait 20 minutes
- Reconnect the negative cable
This should be all that is required to reset the computer. However, if you have an older model, it may not be enough to simply disconnect and reconnect the negative cable. You may also be required to drive the truck for up to 50 miles to re-calibrate the computer.
Before you disconnect the battery, there are a few things to remember. When the battery has been disconnected it is not just the computer that resets. It will most likely also reset the security system or other electronic systems inside the vehicle.
As you can see, it is relatively easy to reset the check engine light on a RAM 1500. However, if the check engine light is on, it is important to determine the root cause of the issue. Learn more about what could cause the check engine light to turn on in this guide from Crestview Chrysler.
Why is My Check Engine Light On?
A loose gas cap could be the reason your check engine light is on, but it could also be a much more significant issue than that. At any rate, when you see that the check engine light has been activated, it’s time to determine the cause.
- Confirm it’s the Check Engine Light: Some of the warning lights built into new vehicles look quite similar, so it can be easy to mistake the Service Required light, for example, for the Check Engine light. The owner’s manual for your particular make and model should have a guide that identifies each warning light.
- Check Your Gas Cap: This is the most common reason a check engine light comes on, and fortunately it is very easy to fix. Simply open the gas cap and re-secure it. Then disconnect the battery, as described above, reconnect it, and the check engine light should no longer be illuminated.
- Check the Codes: The computer of your vehicle generates error codes so technicians can know exactly what is wrong with your vehicle. These error codes can be retrieved by using an automotive diagnostic scanner. Many of these can also clear the code and turn off the warning light. If you prefer to do vehicle maintenance yourself, you can purchase one of these code readers to determine the problem on your own. If you are more comfortable leaving this task to the professionals, the experts at Crestview Chrysler would be glad to do it for you.
Rely on the Service Experts at Crestview Chrysler
New vehicles feature many different computer systems and it can be difficult for the backyard mechanic to diagnose and fix certain issues. Because of this, you may want to leave the maintenance to the highly-skilled mechanics at Crestview Chrysler. Schedule a service appointment with us today and we’ll get your car, truck, or SUV into our state-of-the-art service center ASAP. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.